What about creating something special for someone you ❤️ LOVE ❤️ on Valentine's Day??
~~ANGEL BERRY FOOD CAKE~~
Indulge in this berried version of the traditional Angel Food Cake.
(Prepare your dried fruit in advance.)
1/4 cup Dried Blueberries
1/4 cup Dried Strawberry slices
1/4 tsp Dried Raspberries
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sifted cake-and-pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 11), at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
Prep: 1 hr
- In steamer basket set over a saucepan of simmering water, steam blueberries and raspberries, covered, for about 10 minutes or until very soft and plump. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and let cool.
- In a bowl, using a dry fine-mesh sieve, sift together flour, ¾ cup of the sugar and the salt. Sift into another bowl and then back into the original bowl (sifting a total of 3 times).
- In a large metal or glass bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar until egg whites thicken. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar in a thin, steady stream. Continue to beat just until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Sift one-third of the flour mixture over egg whites. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in just until blended. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture in 2 more additions. Fold in vanilla.
- Pour about one-quarter of the batter into the pan. Sprinkle with half of the berries, smoothing top. Sprinkle with the remaining berries, then pour the remaining batter over the top. Gently run a narrow spatula or a knife through the batter to remove any large air pockets. Smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until top is golden and springs back when lightly toughed. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack, perching on the rim of the pan or placing the tube over an inverted funnel to lift cake in the air, if necessary. Let cool completely,. gently run a knife around the edge of the cake and press bottom through to remove ring. Invert cake onto a serving platter and carefully remove the bottom and tube section, letting cake drop onto the platter.
YUMM!! ❤️ Enjoy together ❤️